Reagan Houston, MS, PE. Copyright and free to copy
Townsend Letter, August/Sept. 61-66, 2015
Chemotherapy is widely used but only moderately successful. We have spent billions of dollars but improvements have been slight. Are we doing something wrong? What might the perfect chemotherapy be like? Table 1.
The idea of The Almost Perfect Chemotherapy (APC) started with an article by L. Benade at the National Cancer Institute in 1969.1 He reported that ascorbate (vitamin C) killed one type of cancer in vitro. NCI neglected vitamin C as a therapy.
The Almost Perfect Chemotherapy grew with Drs. Ewan Cameron in Scotland and Linus Pauling in the US.2 They treated hundreds of patients with many types of cancer at various stages with high doses of vitamin C. Their results were fairly good when Cameron gave bed ridden cancer patients intravenous, IV, vitamin C for 2 weeks and then orally and continually. Drs. Creagan and then Moertel partly repeated Cameron’s regimen without the IV vitamin C.3,4 Their results did not show vitamin C as helpful, and this gave vitamin C a bad reputation.
| Table 1. The Aim of Almost Perfect Chemotherapy.
1. Control all cancers regardless of type or stage.
2. Strengthen normal cells without causing bad side effects.
3. Cause no pain.
4. Decrease the pain from active cancer.
5. Be clinically tested and safe.
6. Be available to patients now without government restrictions.
7. Strengthen the immune system to control other diseases.
The third step by Dr. Abram Hoffer, MD, PhD, and his multivitamin regimen for cancer was successful, Table 2.5 To vitamin C he added supplements that were either vitamins or vitamin-like compounds (made by the body). Hoffer knew that vitamins work better if used together. For example vitamin C and E each kill cancer in vitro, but if used together they can be up to 50 times as effective as either alone.5 The work of Drs. Ronald Hunninghake and Linus Pauling added other vitamin-likes.
|Table 2. The Almost Perfect Chemotherapy, daily pills|
|Vitamin C||3,000-12,000 mg|
|Vitamin E succinate Natural||800 IU|
|Vitamin D-3||5,000 IU|
|CoQ10, ubiquinol *||200 IU|
|Lipoic acid *||300-600 mg|
|Acetyl-L-carnitine *||2,000-3,000 mg|
|Lysine *||3,000-6000 mg|
|Multivitamin, (vitamin A selenium, zinc)||1 or 2|
|Vitamin B Complex||B-50|
|Fish oil pill||1,000 mg|
|Diet. More omega 3 fatty acid & water. Less processed carbohydrates, sugars. Less hydrogenated fats.
To strengthen itself, the body makes several therapeutic vitamin-likes. These include lipoic acid, coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), L-carnitine, and lysine. Hoffer developed doses good for cancer therapy and those doses are often similar to therapy for other illnesses.
All of these supplements are available from health food stores. Hopefully the vitamins and other supplements selected are sufficient to control many diseases. None require a prescription. This article is not a complete or exclusive list of vitamins and vitamin-likes, as our immune system frequently provides several solutions to each illness.
Dr. Hoffer’s Multivitamins
Vitamins, vitamin-likes, and essential minerals alone do not make an Almost Perfect Chemotherapy. A diet with too much sugar or processed carbohydrates that turn into sugar can put enough glucose into the blood to block vitamin C from entering cells.2,8 The long-term use of hydrogenated fats can stiffen the semipermeable membranes around each cell in the body to limit the flow of food (glucose) into the cells.8,9 This lack of food may starve cells enough to produce diabetes. Lysine may dissolve cholesterol to keep it from clogging veins that could cause heart disease and stroke.7
Early versions of APC in clinical tests by Hoffer, Cameron, and Pauling on thousands of cancer patients showed that APC therapy caused no pain or side effects while decreasing the fatigue and pain caused by cancer.2,5
APC is available now. Doctors are not permitted to use vitamin C to treat cancer patients.10 Fortunately; patients can take vitamin C and other vitamins on their own. The political regulations of the Food and Drug Administration, FDA, can be avoided if patients start vitamin C and then tell (not ask) their doctors. APC can be used before, during, and after many regular chemotherapies, if necessary.
Hoffer’s Cancer Treatment
Healthy white blood cells can recognize and kill cancer.5 Dr. Hoffer orally gave vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and other supplements, Table 2. Hoffer offered his multivitamin therapy to an early group of 133 patients who had advanced (even widespread) cancers of many types and who had mostly failed surgery, radiation, and/or chemotherapy. Those who accepted vitamins lived 45 months after seeing Hoffer vs. 2.6 months for the 29 patients who refused vitamins. Table 3 tells how many months patients lived after seeing Hoffer.5,11 Hoffer thought that one-fourth or half of the doses in Table 2 might prevent cancers and possibly many other diseases.
Table 3. Survival of Cancer Patients after Seeing Hoffer,5,11
Type With Without
Cancer Vitamins Vitamins
Breast 70 months 3.7
Uterus 99 4.0
Ovary 16 3.6
Lung 17 2.0
Pancreas 40 2.4
All 30 types 45 2.6
Most important, Hoffer showed that oral vitamin C, if combined with other vitamins and vitamin-likes, effectively controlled advanced, even metastatic cancers of many types. Table 3.5
Some of Hoffer’s patients took surgery, (10%) radiation, (16%) or regular chemotherapy (17%) during or after their multivitamins with some taking more than one of these therapies.5 Significantly, over half of his cancer patients did not need regular therapies. His good results, Table 3, suggest that a cancer patient might well consider doing APC for three months to determine if APC controls the cancer thus making regular chemotherapy is unnecessary.
What is The Almost Perfect Chemotherapy?
Let me describe APC as strengthening Mother Nature by (1) increasing the dose of compounds that our bodies already use: essential vitamins and minerals plus compounds the body makes: lipoic acid, coenzyme Q10, L-carnitine and lysine and (2) decreasing the intake of compounds that harm the body: hydrogenated fats, sugars and processed carbohydrates.
Functions Of Various Vitamins
Hoffer and Irwin Stone, MD, describe vitamin C as the most important vitamin.5,13 Vitamin C is necessary for repair and growth of all tissues.5,8 Vitamin C helps the immune system by neutralizing free radicals and by fighting infections, colds, cancers, asthma, allergies, and stress, to name a few.5,13,14 Vitamin C is highly soluble in water. Vitamin C is safe at the dosages mentioned..
With low vitamin C in our blood, heart and leg muscles become weak and white blood cells may no longer recognize and kill germs.5 Vitamin C regenerates vitamins D and E, lipoic acid, CoQ10, and L-carnitine.5,8 Vitamin C is especially useful after a stroke or heart attack to repair damaged heart muscles and valves, and damaged parts of the brain that control various functions including memory.6
The vitamin C normal fasting blood level is 0.6 to 1.5 mg/deciliter of ascorbate.15 A level at or below 0.2 is designated as scurvy. Both scurvy and cancer can cause depression, pain, fatigue, and poor appetite but doctors rarely check for scurvy.15,16
How much vitamin C does a patient need? He or she needs enough to balance all the ills in the body that consume vitamin C. Since many ills consume vitamin C including cancer, sicknesses, auto accidents and infected teeth, the dose for a specific patient depends on that patient and his health. Hoffer recommended a dose of 12,000 mg/day for his sick patients, or a dose that almost caused diarrhea.5 Also, the patient can measure his or her urine for vitamin C level with a purchased dipsticks.15 The urine dipstick should read at least 50 mg/dL of ascorbate for good therapy. With the supplements in Table 2, the body is able to kill essentially all types of cancer.
Vitamin D-3 works with vitamin E and calcium to strengthen our bones. It also helps treat cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, dental health, osteoporosis, muscle strength, and high blood pressure.17
Vitamin E is active against aging, cataracts, high blood pressure and rheumatoid arthritis. It minimizes problems in the lungs, liver, heart, and Alzheimer’s disease. Vitamin E is an oil soluble antioxidant that works with vitamin C to repair flesh and bone.8,18 This combination is especially helpful in repairing small imperfections in the lining of veins. A smooth vein repair prevents the deposition and accumulation of cholesterol and possible subsequent stroke or heart attack.8,18 Both natural and synthetic forms of vitamin E are available but the natural (d-tocopherols for example) are much more effective than the synthetic (dl-tocopherols).
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is an antioxidant useful in both wet and fatty tissue. Coenzyme Q10 is a vitamin-like whose production by the body may drop from normal down to only 5% of normal by age 90.6 It helps with diabetes, general energy, and forgetfulness. There are two types of CoQ10. The common, older version is oxidized and called ubiquinone. It is fat-soluble and not well absorbed by the body. It is best taken with peanut butter or other fat especially by sick or elderly patients.19 For a group of 13 patients with chronic fatigue, CoQ10 helped 69%.5 CoQ10 (ubiquinone) can lower systolic blood pressure 16 mm and diastolic 10 mm.20
A 69-year old woman had been taking 400 mg/day of the older type CoQ10 for only a month when she had a severe heart attack. She was given a “vegetative prognosis” but she recovered almost completely in 2 weeks, probably by continuing the CoQ10.21
Since 2006 the reduced form of CoQ10, ubiquinol, has been available. This form is more soluble in water, is the form found in human blood, and can be several times more effective than the older type.20
Statins should not be used by cancer or heart patients because they weaken the body and deplete the body of CoQ10.20 Dr. Peter Langsjoen, MD, studied 50 consecutive heart patients who had been taking statins before seeing him. He discontinued the statins and started them on CoQ10 (ubiquinol) for 28 months average. Table 4 shows the problems caused by statins and the improvement when CoQ10 replaced the statins.
Statin Effects and CoQ10 Improvement20
Problem Initial% Final%
Skeletal muscle pain 64 6
Patient Fatigue 84 16
Shortness of breath 58 12
Memory loss 8 4
Peripheral neuropathy 10 2
Lipoic Acid regenerates glutathione and vitamins C and E. It strengthens memory, kills viruses, and helps prevent diabetes.5 Old rats given CoQ10 and lipoic acid could make four times as much energy in their spinning cages as old rats without supplements.21 The combination of vitamins C and E, coenzyme Q10, lipoic acid, and glutathione work together to provide energy and healing. Dr. Zucker.19 calls them “The Network.” 19
L-carnitine (or acetyl-L-carnitine for brain therapies) helps turn food into energy. It expedites moving fatty acids into muscle cells.19 The heart prefers to get most of its energy from fats rather than glucose.21 When the body uses fat for energy rather than glucose, the body gets 3.5 times as much energy per molecule.21 L-carnitine provides energy for walking and for recovering strength after a heart attack or stroke. L-carnitine with lipoic acid helps to improve memory.6
Stress of any kind can precipitously lower the vitamin C in the body, even to one-fourth its previous level.13 Stroke and cancer can cause stress and often scurvy.5 Vitamin C helps combat stress, whatever its cause. Most animals under sudden stress produce more vitamin C. Stress from surgery, or a fall may cause scurvy, often five or ten hours after the incident. We can measure our blood ascorbate with a urine dipstick and take more vitamin C as needed.15
The supplements mentioned here often make a big improvement in how well we feel.5,19 Supplements work best if taken along with a good life style and regular exercise.
Stroke and Heart Diseases are too dangerous and difficult to treat without the help of a suitable doctor. However the therapy for the Almost Perfect Chemotherapy may be similar to that for stroke and heart disease, Table 5. As noted later, the author used a simpler therapy to recover from congestive heart failure.
|Table 5. Atherosclerosis and Congestive Heart Failure,
Stages I and II21 Daily doses
|Lecithin||15 – 30 grams|
|Vitamin B-3||1,000 – 3,000 mg|
|Chromium||200 – 400 mcg|
|Vitamin E natural,||200 to 1,600 IU|
|Vitamin B-6||75 mg|
|Vitamin D-3||5,000 IU|
|CoQ10, ubiquinone||300-600 mg|
|Lysine, mg||2,000 or more|
|Vitamin C, mg||2,000 to 6,000+|
|Diet. More omega 3 fatty acid. Less processed
carbohydrates & sugars. Less hydrogenated fats.
Common Cold and Viral Diseases
The common cold is a miserable virus. Modern medicine has no good medicine to fight viruses. Alternative medicine practitioners use vitamin C to easily kill viruses.2,.22 Pauling and Cathcart successfully controlled colds by giving 1,000 mg of vitamin C each hour as long as cold symptoms were present.2,22 The regimen is quite flexible.13,14
Dr. Klenner reported that all viruses can be cured by sufficient vitamin C given repeatedly at short time intervals.14 He cured 60 out of 60 cases of poliomyelitis in a week or two by giving up to 210 grams of IV vitamin C daily depending on the weight of the patient. He also treated 8 shingles patients with injections of sodium ascorbate. Pain ceased in 2 hours after the first injection and lesions cleared in 3 days.14
What about the viruses of influenza, bronchitis and viral pneumonia? Klenner treated viral pneumonia with one gram of IV sodium ascorbate every 6 to 12 hours plus oral ascorbic acid at 100 to 500 mg every 4 to 6 hours.14 Patients felt better one hour after the first IV, and their temperature dropped 2 deg. F. after several hours. Unfortunately, doctors seem to avoid vitamin C for treating viruses.
Diabetes and Alzheimer’s Disease
Semi-permeable membranes surround all the cells in our bodies. These membranes control the flow of food and other materials into and out of the cells. When, over the years, we have eaten too much hydrogenated fat, the membranes may become less permeable and defective.9,23 Sugars cannot properly enter defective cells even when aided by insulin. This may cause the cells to have insufficient energy. Type 2 diabetes may result if the cells affected are in the heart, eyes, or legs.
Diabetes type 2 may be corrected slowly (in months) by a diet low in sugars and hydrogenated fats but high in vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids.8,23 Fish and fish oil pills are good sources of omega-3-fatty acids.
Some feel that Alzheimer’s and/or Parkinson’s diseases are Type 3 diabetes since the cells affected are brain cells.24 Treating brain disease is agonizingly slow and without accepted therapies. Present drugs aim to slow the diseases for months or perhaps a year. They offer little hope of improving memory. Much work has been done on Alzheimer’s disease but no accepted therapy exists. We will consider one of many suggested therapies: acetyl-L-carnitine.
has shown some signs of improving memory. The Mini Memory Status Evaluation, MMSE test, is one of several commonly used tests to measure memory. L-carnitine was used to treat a randomized, double blind group of 66 centenarians.25 Half were given 2 grams/day of L-carnitine for 6 months and their MMSE increased from 16.4 to 20.5 with 30 being the maximum. The placebo group had an MMSE score that changed insignificantly from 16.6 to 17.2. An MMSE gain of 4.1 for patients is a huge help. Acetyl-L-carnitine was tested on several groups of somewhat younger patients with variable result.25
Dr. Hugh Riordan.11 suggested the precautions in Table 6. Many patients have safely taken vitamin C at doses of 40,000 mg/day and even larger. Dr. Hunninghake found vey few cancer patients who could not take vitamin C because of their deficiency of G6PD. However, Cameron and Hoffer used mostly oral vitamin C and did not report that they checked G6PD. They both found that oral vitamin C easily killed cancers.
| Table 6. Precautions with High-Dose Vitamin C12
1. Build up the dose slowly by about 1,000 or 2,000 mg/day to minimize diarrhea.
2. If necessary, decrease the dose slowly to allow the body to adjust.
3. Vitamin C in the form of ascorbic acid pills may cause gas, upset stomach or skin itch. If this occurs, consider using powdered vitamin C or capsules that are less upsetting than pills with binder.
4. Excess sodium intake from sodium ascorbate is possible. Consider using ascorbic acid or a mixture of sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid.
5. Some people lack the glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, G6PD, enzyme. Patients considering IV vitamin C should be tested for this. These people may not be able to take IV vitamin C without getting hazardous acute anemia.
6. For their own safety people should work with a doctor
knowledgeable about vitamins.
7. All people may not be able to use high doses of vitamin C.
Dr. Hoffer suggested that the vitamins that he chose in Table 2 if taken at reduced amounts might help prevent cancer and other diseases.5 Instead of starting with a hand full of pills, may I suggest starting with vitamin C at 1,000 mg, natural vitamin E at 400 IU, and ubiquinol (CoQ10) at 100 mg for both breakfast and dinner? This makes three pills taken twice a day. This short regimen is untested.
For some patients, pain is worse than death. Narcotic type drugs are often a wonderful, but, unfortunately, they cannot always control the pain. The pain from cancer (and other sources) is directed to the opiate receptors in the brain, according to Drs. Alfred Libby and Irwin Stone,26 High dose vitamin C is also absorbed in the opiate receptors where it can displace the narcotic drug and thus block the pain. The opiate receptors may have become part of our brains thousands of years ago to preserve vitamin C in the body when vitamin C was in short supply.
Ewan Cameron gave his advanced cancer patients large doses of vitamin C to treat their cancer. To control the pain of cancer eating bone, he also administered large doses of narcotics as needed. Five of his first such patients found that their pain almost disappeared and they no longer asked for narcotics.2 They had no side effects from stopping the narcotics! Cameron typically gave 10 grams (10,000 mg) per day.
Libby, a family doctor, treated street drug addicts with 25 to 80 grams (2.3 to 8 tablespoons) per day of sodium ascorbate powder dissolved in milk. One incoherent patient became coherent in 45 minutes after consuming 30 grams of ascorbate.26 Andrew Saul had a very sick cancer patient who took about 100 grams per day of vitamin C dissolved in water. He improved from painfully bedridden to walking some in the yard.27
Patients with uncontrolled pain from cancer might consider trying high dose vitamin C such as 25 grams of sodium ascorbate in milk or water. This is taken throughout the day. Loose bowels or diarrhea could indicate the proper dose. If no pain relief or loose bowls result, the daily dose can be increased even to 100 grams a day. After a day or two, the dose should be reduced to avoid diarrhea. I recommend that patients work with their doctors for safety and to keep electrolytes and nutrition in balance.
At age 73, I felt healthy. At age 74 I knew I had aggressive prostate cancer. I refused radiation and chose temporary hormone therapy. A few months later I started Hoffer’s multivitamin regimen. At age 87, I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and given a pacemaker and diuretics. With Hoffer’s regimen, I have kept my aggressive prostate cancer in remission for 18 years. As of May 2015 at age 92, my PSA was a healthy 1.5. I have recovered from congestive heart failure probably by adding lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine to Hoffer’s multivitamins.
Vitamins, diet, exercise, the love of God, and life-style have controlled my cancer and heart diseases.
My daily exercise usually includes walking up three floors of stairs in a moderate 50 seconds. My parents both died of cancer in their mid sixties so their genes may have contributed to my cancer but not to a short life for me.
To use vitamins as cancer therapy is a new and difficult thought for many doctors and patients. The pharmaceutical industry has successfully belittled vitamins for many decades. Fortunately the evidence for multivitamins properly administered for cancer therapy is excellent and convincing. The Almost Perfect Chemotherapy works without bad side effects. Regular chemotherapy is widely used but has a poor reputation.
The FDA controls the use by doctors of many supplements. Doctors will often go along with patients who have already started vitamins.10,11,28 A doctor who prefers to offer APC could offer a cancer patient surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. If patient refuses each regular therapy, the doctor could then offer vitamin therapy and make a note in the patient’s record to answer the FDA. A patient can tell the doctor that he will not accept surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy and would the doctor assist with vitamin therapy? The author did this. All of his doctors have cooperated
Few doctors use CoQ10, lipoic acid, or L-carnitine even when allowed. The big drug companies do not advertise these economical, non-patentable items. Fortunately cancer patients can take vitamins on their own choice without restriction from FDA.
Although developed for cancer treatment, APC strengthens the immune system and may help the body make energy throughout the body.
Importantly, a strong immune system may control stroke, cardiovascular diseases, and many other sicknesses.5,6,21
When people and patients learn that economical, safe, over the counter supplements may control many diseases, people may live longer with less pain, less cost, and fewer side effects.5,28 Sick patients who choose vitamins can expect positive results often in a month.28 If a person feels sick or the doctor does not yet have a diagnosis, the patient might well consider strengthening his immune system with the Almost Perfect Chemotherapy, preferably with the knowledge of the doctor. Dr. Herbert Newbold found that his patients who were in moderately good health when the time came to die, died more quickly and with less pain.29 A strong immune system may cut colds and other diseases in half and avoid expensive hospital visits.2,22,28 Doctors and hospitals using today’s expensive medicine will often resist change and they will argue against vitamins for cancer and other diseases. However patients have the power and the money.
The Almost Perfect Chemotherapy strengthens Mother Nature by (1) increasing the dose of compounds that our bodies already use: essential vitamins and minerals plus compounds the body already makes: lipoic acid, coenzyme Q10, L-carnitine and lysine and (2) decreasing the intake of compounds that harm the body: hydrogenated fats, sugars and processed carbohydrates.
Oral vitamins working together have controlled many types of cancer at all stages. IV vitamin C is not necessary but is helpful if available.12 The cost of APC is far less than surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy.10 Although vitamins can be chosen and used by healthy or sick people, professional supervision is often helpful.
If enough people on their own strengthen their bodies by multivitamins, our general health might greatly improve.
Can we greatly cut the cost of stroke, cancer and heart therapies? Can we cut colds and sick days significantly?2,5,6,8,14 I believe we can.
- The Almost Perfect Chemotherapy, APC, consists of vitamin C augmented by other vitamins, essential minerals and four vitamin-like items made by our bodies: coenzyme Q10, lipoic acid, acetyl-L-carnitine, and lysine. A diet including omega 3 fatty acids and fewer hydrogenated fats and carbohydrates may be necessary.
- The APC was used by Dr. Abram Hoffer to treat a group of 133 advanced cancer patients of many types who had mostly failed regular therapies. Those who accepted APC lived 45 months with less pain and side effects while the 29 who refused APC lived only 2.6 months after seeing Hoffer.
- APC has clinically treated over one thousand cancer patients, often with results better than standard chemotherapy and without side effects.
- APC has strengthened the immune system to help control various diseases including cancer, stroke, heart diseases, scurvy, and the common cold.
- APC is available now if patients choose to start APC. FDA does not restrict patients from using APC although guidance by appropriate doctors or health professionals is recommended.
Reagan Houston, MS, PE.
Professional Chemical Engineer
600 Carolina Village #389
Hendersonville, NC 28792
- Benade L, Howard T, and Burk D. Synergistic Killing of Ehrlich ascites carcinoma cells by ascorbate and 3-amino-1,2,4,-triazole. Oncology. 1969;23:33-43.
2. Cameron E and Pauling L. Cancer and Vitamin C, Philadelphia: Camino Books, 1993. 3. Creagan E, Moertel C, O’Fallon J et al. Failure of high-dose vitamin C (ascorbic acid) therapy to benefit patients with advanced cancer. New England J of Medicine, 1979;301:687-690. 4. Moertel C, Fleming T, Creagan E, Rubin J, O’Connell M and Ames M. High-dose vitamin C versus placebo in the treatment of patients with advanced cancer who have had no prior chemotherapy. New England J of Medicine, 1985;312:137-41.
- Hoffer A. Vitamin C and Cancer, Discovery, Recovery, Controversy. Kingston, Quarry Press: 2000.
6. Hunninghake R. Basic Health User’s Guide to Energy-boosting Supplements. Laguna Beach, Basic Health Pub: 2002.
- Pauling L & Rath M. Solution to the puzzle of human cardiovascular disease. Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine. 1991;6:125-134.
- Hickey S & Roberts H. Ascorbate The Science of Vitamin C. ISBN 1-4116-0724-4, 2004
- Erasmus U. Fats that Heal – Fats the Kill. Burnaby, Alive Books: 1993
- Houston R. Cancer and medical politics. Townsend Letter. 2011; Aug/Sept:89-92.
- Houston, Reagan. Vitamins Can Kill Cancer. West Conshohocken, Infinity Pub: 2006. Can be downloaded free from http://www.cancertherapies.org.
- Casciari J, Riordan NH, Schmidt T… Riordan H. Cytotoxicity of ascorbate, lipoic acid, and other antioxidants in hollow fiber in vitro tumours. British Journal of Cancer, 2002;84 (11):1544-1550.
13. Stone I. The Healing Factor – Vitamin C against Disease. New York, Grosset and Dunlap: 1972.
- Klenner FR. (Edited by LH Smith.) Clinical Guide to the Use of Vitamin C. 1988; 47 pages. Downloaded 7/6/2004, from http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate/
- Jackson J, Wong K, Krier C and Riordan H. Screening for vitamin C in the urine: is it clinically significant? Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, 2005;20(4):259-261.
16. Houston, R. Scurvy today, Townsend Letter, 2010; April:556-558. 17. Holick M, Vitamin D deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine, 2007;357:266-281. 18. Challem J & Smith MD. User’s Guide to Vitamin E. North Bergen, Basic Health Pub: 2002. 19. Zucker, M. Users Guide to CoenzymeQ10, North Bergen, Basic Health Publications: 2002. 20. Langsjoen P. Life Extension Magazine, Alleviating Congestive Heart Failure with Coenzyme Q10, 2008; February. Downloaded 4/25/2012.
- Saul A. Fire Your Doctor. Laguuna Beach, Basic Health Publications: 2005.
22. Cathcart R. Vitamin C titrating to bowel tolerance, anascorbia, and acute scurvy. Medical Hypotheses, 1981;7:1359-1366.
- Mozafferian, D. Health effects of trans fats. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2009, 63:S5-S21.
- de la Monte S, Wands JR. Alzheimer’s disease is type 3 diabetes—evidence reviewed. Journal of Diabetes Science Technology. Down loaded from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2008; Nov. 2960:1101-1113.
25. Malaguarnera, Mariano et al. L-carnitine treatment reduces severity of physical and mental fatigue and increases cognitive functions in centenarians: a randomized and controlled clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr, 2007;86:1738 – 1744. 26. Libby A and Stone I. The hypoascorbemia-kwashiorkor approach to drug addiction therapy: A pilot study. Orthomolecular Psychiatry, 1977, 6.4;300-308. 27. Saul A. Doctor Yourself. Laguna Beach, Basic Health Pub: 2003.
- Houston R. Painless Therapy for Major Diseases. West Conshohocken, Infinity Pub: 2012
29. Newbold H. Vitamin C Against Cancer. Stein and Day, New York:1979.